When a friend recently dropped off a grocery bag filled with perfectly ripe Meyer lemons, I knew I had to get busy in the kitchen turning them into something amazing. Since there were so many lemons I wanted to incorporate them in every meal. First up, lemon pancakes with lemon curd on top. I had never made curd before but had it tons of times at the beau's parents house—it's my favorite dessert his mom makes—so I found this recipe, which worked out perfectly, and added a touch of lemon juice and zest to the pancake mix. A little maple syrup and powdered sugar on top with a cup of jo and I was in breakfast heaven.
Yesterday was the first day that it officially felt like Spring and I swear the birds were in agreement, everywhere I went they seemed to be chirping up a storm. Since I'm always an eager beaver when it comes to sunny days, I'm not holding my breath that it will stay this way but the forecast does look pretty phenomenal for the weekend ahead here in Santa Barbara—can we say 80º! Just those two numbers seemed to make me jump for joy, which got me thinking about all the little things that instantly have that affect on me. Here's 10 things that make me light up from head to toe. What makes you randomly happy?
1. Packages on my doorstep
2. Waves of realization that I might be the luckiest girl around to be with my beau
3. Dinner parties at home
4. The song "The Wind" by Cat Stevens
5. Any movie with Jason Bateman in it
6. Laughing until it hurts
7. Phone convos with my best friend in New York
8. Finding something new and amazing for my wardrobe
9. Lindsey's dog Kona—see him in his bow tie here
10. Blogging about something I'm really excited about
For many years now, Shopbop has been my go-to when shopping online. With an endless supply of the latest and greatest trends and designers, I can always count on this virtual store to house my latest style cravings and needs. Plus, I can peruse "what's new" while eating bon bons in my pajamas, which happens more often than I'd like to admit. My latest obsession on Shopbop recently has been the Chloe Sevigny for Opening Ceremony collection. Besides being a general fan of Chloe's I've been completely smitten with the flirty, vintage-esque pieces like the Lissy Boxy Swing Dress—which I'd pair with a platforms or oxfords by Boutique 9 or Madison Harding. Not to mention, it's the perfect dress for Spring days.
Since Shopbop is such a favorite one-stop-shop in my book, I'm doing a $100 gift card giveaway that they are generously offering. To enter, write your name and email below for the chance to win. And don't forget to check out the amazing selection on sale at Shopbop! The winner will be chosen at random on 4/7.
[ Yaya Aflalo Jacket, Vintage Belt, Ash Platform Booties, Autumn Cashmere Wrap, Alexander Wang Bag ]
Some of my earliest memories of falling in love with fashion involve my mom. Besides her sophisticated (yet quirky at times) sense of style, she always had piles of magazines and a closet overflowing with classic pieces and amazing jewelry. I remember spending hours in some of her favorite boutiques and never tiring of playing dress-up and making friends with all the salesgirls. She recently gave me a few hand-me-down belts that I've been wearing non-stop, but I'm especially in love with this metal and rhinestone one (circa the 80's).
I was utterly depressed after picking up my favorite Patterson J. Kincaid dress (seen here) from the dry cleaners yesterday—the dreaded "unremovable stains" description was in bold on my return ticket. After pouting for a while I decided to be positive and look at the silver lining of the situation... I need a new Patterson J. Kincaid dress for Spring stat! I'm still deciding between the Tie Dye Olivia Dress and the Priscilla Tank Dress to fill the void, but until then this video of the Spring 2011 collection will hold me over.
[ Karta Top, Paige Denim, Pedro Garcia Heels, Vintage Coat (seen here), Alexander Wang Bag and Vintage Bangles ]
When I was 15 I fell in love with the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's. It was, and still is, one of my favorite flicks to watch on a rainy day—especially that last scene when she's looking for Cat drenched in her trench coat. After revisiting the classic black and white film over the stormy weekend, I was inspired to throw together this all black Hepburn-ish look for a dinner party. This Karta top has just enough bling adding a little glamour to an otherwise basic look.
[ Shiny and short dresses ]
The recent spring showers have had me craving sunshine, tan limbs and warmer temperatures. There comes a point when putting on boots and a cashmere sweater for the gazillionth time loses its luster. A few ways I'm getting through these last stormy days? Fun makeup, fancy lingerie, sparkly accessories, glamorous wavy hair, brightly colored nails and something yellow. What helps you get through the tail end of winter?
[ Feminine lingerie ]
[ Sunshine yellow ]
[ Dewy makeup with pink lips ]
[ Perfectly tousled waves ]
While the majority of my wardrobe is light tones, stripes and black pieces, I always find myself drawn to bright colors around this time of year. Maybe it's the flowers starting to bloom everywhere or the excitement of weekend trips to the desert (see my favorite getaway here and here) but I love throwing on happy colors mixed with basic staples. Here are a few color pops and neutral finds I'm craving for the sunnier months ahead.
1. A.L.C Stewart Top $178
2. Newbark Two-Tone Leather Tote $695
3. Dannijo Mica Necklace $680
4. The Row Ellena Pleated Silk Skirt $1,250
5. Belle Sigerson Morrison Cutaway Suede Flats $195
6. Hervé Léger Bandage Shift Dress $1,250
7. Crumpet Cashmere Scarf $325
8. Topshop Cream Gold Button Epaulette Shirt $75
9. Topshop Tangerine Pleat Shorts $60
10. Goldsign Misfit Slim Leg $228
[ Gap Trench Coat, Johnson Shorts, Wolford Tights, Vintage Top, Forever 21 Boots, Jennifer Fisher Bone Cuff, Vintage Bangles, Vintage Striped bag ]
When the forecast said rain on the weekend, I took it with a grain of salt—as I do 80% of the time I pay attention to the weather man—but it came as predicted in full force. It rained non-stop for more than half of the weekend, which was surprisingly pleasant and just what the doctor ordered. I soaked up some much needed down time yesterday after a lively party Saturday night that Kristian and I threw for Lindsey's birthday. Our infused alcohols (see here) were put to the test and here's which concoctions turned out to be the best...
The Windy Lindy—Vodka infused with coconut juice, coconut, pineapple and lime.
The T Delight—Tequila infused with pineapple, vanilla bean and brown sugar.
Tropical Surprise—Tequila infused with pineapple, kiwi and lime.
A few tips:
Remove the rind from the fruit
Let sit for two weeks in a cool area
Remember to mark the lids in case you forget what the alcohol and ingredients are
[ Spring issues of a few favorite magazines ]
Without a doubt the start of Spring is one of my favorite times of the year. I love the shift in weather, picnics, sundresses, bike rides, beach walks, eating outside and soaking in the much missed (and needed) vitamin D. Since the time change last weekend, I've been happily transitioning into Spring mode. Here are a few things that have been lifting my spirits as we coast into another season. What do you love about Spring?
[ A sea glass collection from last Summer/Spring ]
[ Springtime pinks by Essies that I can't wait to use ]
[ Feather earrings by Sirenetta Jewelry ]
When it comes to makeup I strive to achieve a flawless, natural look most of the time, with the exception of smokey eyes and red lips for something more dramatic. I'm always testing out new products that I find in magazines or tips from makeup artists at photo shoots—slight product obsession here, guilty!—but there are a handful of them that I now can't live without. Here are my basic makeup necessities that I swear by.
1. Dallas by Benefit—The perfect blend of bronzer and blush. I love sweeping this across my cheekbones and forehead for a flushed glow.
2. Laura Mercier Pressed Mineral Powder with SPF—I wear this powder everyday because it doesn't cause break-outs and is light. It evens my skin tone and gives a slight glow.
3. Laura Mercier Blending Brush—I splurged once on brushes and haven't regretted it since. Good brushes make the world of a difference and last forever. I use this one for my mineral powder and bronzer.
4. YSL Radiant Touch Concealer—Truly the best way to redeem yourself after a late night. I use this highlighter/concealer on dark circles and to even skin tone. I keep one in my purse and one at home.
5. Laura Mercier Eye Basics—This eye base does wonders for brightening eyes and covering up redness on the eye lids. Most of the time I just were this alone without eye shadow.
6. Chanel Inimitable Mascara—I have tried so many mascaras (see here) but this one seems to take the cake when it comes to the brush.
7. Trish McEvoy Classic Eye Pencil in black—I wear eyeliner almost everyday and this one I've found is the easiest to apply since the texture is creamier than most. It also smudges really well.
8. Trish McEvoy Brush 55—Using this brush when applying foundation is ten times better than just using a sponge or fingers. It gives that flawless application.
9. Trish McEvoy Even Skin Foundation—Since this foundation is water-based, it goes on so smooth and gives my skin a dewy appearance. I have über sensitive skin and this has never made me break-out.
10. Aquaphor—I never leave home without it. I use this healing ointment on my lips, cheeks and hands. It's also great for blending with lipsticks.
11. Trish McEvoy Eyeshadows—I don't wear eyeshadow everyday, but the few I use the most are Heather, Tawny, Raisin, Deep Aubergine and Deep Amethyst.
12. Tom Ford Blush Nude Lipstick—I can't get enough of this pale lip color. It truly is the perfect nude on it's own and a basic tone to mix with other shades.
13. Trish McEvoy Brush 29—The perfect brush for blending eyeshadows.
[ Lemon pancakes with lemon curd on top ]
I definitely wouldn't call myself a morning person, but I have to say I'm much more enjoyable to be around when I treat myself to a hearty breakfast and a cup of coffee. I recently got into a bad habit of running late and grabbing a nutrition bar of some sort, which never seemed to hold me over. After coming across Simply Breakfast I've been inspired to wake up earlier and enjoy the a.m. hours of the day by cooking up something delish. From blueberry pancakes to eggs and toast here are a few favorites from the past week.
[ A sunny side up egg on whole grain bread ]
[ An egg white omelet with tomatoes and micro greens ]
[ Eggs, avocado, micro greens and cheese on whole grain toast ]
[ Vintage Silk Top, Vintage Patterned Slip Dress, Emily Rosendahl Wallet, Michael Kors Watch, Tory Burch Heels, J.Crew Bracelet, Vintage Snake Ring ]
This past weekend was definitely one that I will never forget. After months of waiting, helping my sister find clothes for her growing belly, a shower (see here), guessing names and buying lot's of baby clothes, I'm officially an Auntie as of yesterday. My incredibly adorable nephew, Sebastian, was born at 8:15 in the morning and he is quite possibly the cutest little thing I've ever laid eyes on. I can hardly wait to spend more time just staring at his sweet expressions. In honor of the recent time change (we're that much closer to Summer!), I slipped on this petal colored silk top yesterday that Lindsey scored at a thrift store.
The past week has been full of suspense waiting for the arrival of my sisters baby boy who has decided to leave us on the edge of our seats days after his due date. I've had my phone nearly strapped to me in case she or her husband call with any news and every time it lights up my heart skips a beat thinking it's time! She's tried everything from spicy food to acupuncture and nothing seems to be budging the little guy to make his debut, but our fingers are crossed that today might be the day. In honor of the my nephew's arrival I had to share this sweet photo of my pregnant sister taken by Carlos Mascherin that I absolutely love. Hurry up little munchkin, your auntie can't wait to meet you!
[ Ash Cutout Platforms, Topshop Sequin Shorts, Vince Top, Sirenetta Feather Earrings, Vintage Gold Bangle, Jennifer Fisher Necklace ]
The unexpected high temperatures yesterday called for an emergency costume change since I was wearing pants and a sweater. I put on these fun sequin shorts and a loose, airy, sheer top to meet some friends for a drink. Sadly the warm day quickly vanished as soon as the sun went down and I couldn't wait to put that sweater back on. However, my fancy white feather earrings stayed on. Check out more designs by Sirenetta Jewelry here!